WhatsApp has launched its chat payment feature after the consent from the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI). In addition, this feature allows the user to make transactions to anyone in their contact list via WhatsApp. Furthermore, it is a UPI-based payment system i.e. it allows you to send and receive money. WhatsApp Pay has been tested for its payment purposes for over a year in India.
When was WhatsApp Pay Launched?
WhatsApp Pay was propelled in February 2018 in India as a portion of a trial run. On February 7, 2020, the messaging app received NPCI’s endorsement to launch its advanced payment service in a staged manner. However, the payment service will as best be rolled out to 20 million WhatsApp clients. As the NPCI has said that a 30 percent cap will be executed on adding up to payment volumes by means of each third party payments app from January 1, 2021.
How to enable whatsApp pay?
To utilize WhatsApp Pay, a client must start payment to a contact. Once the request is received, the client can set up their UPI account on WhatsApp.
Set it up
- Make sure you have the latest version of WhatsApp downloaded on your device. In particular, for android phones, the latest version is 18.104.22.168. Whereas for apple users, the latest version is 22.214.171.124.
- Ensure that your WhatsApp number is the same number that is linked with your bank account.
- Open your WhatsApp settings and tap on payments.
- Click on the add payment method to select your bank.
- After you have successfully added your bank, verify your phone number.
- Tap on verify via SMS.
- After the verification, your bank details will be added below the payment method.
How to make payments
- Click on the attachment icon on your WhatsApp.
- Tap on payment and enter the desired amount.
- Enter the UPI pin to complete the payment process.
- You will get a confirmation message after the transaction is complete.
Modes of transactions
In addition, WhatsApp pay allows user to send money via QR code who are not in their contact list. Furthermore, you can also send money to people who use PhonePe and Google Play.